Monday, January 9, 2012

Houston...we have a problem...

Do you have something you do that you always do a certain way? I know certain people who drink their orange juice before they eat their cereal, or reading the sports section of the paper first. I'm sure you all can think of something. For me: I double my recipes.
Usually without thought, I automatically double everything. Of course, there are some recipes that I just can't do that with. For instance, my recipe for chocolate chip cookies. If I double it, I'll have too much dough in the bowl and half of it will end up all over the counter. And I have a KitchenAid so it isn't a small bowl. When I make dough in my bread-maker, I don't double recipes because after it rises, it's usually oozing out the sides.
Well, today I told my daughter that we could make some bread. I pulled out the bread machine and started adding my ingredients. I even told myself, "There are 6 cups of flour in a single recipe...don't double it!" I put in the water as called for and then I accidentally wound up doubling every other ingredient. And once I got to the 6 cups of flour, doubled, I said, "Oh shoot!"  It's okay, it's not the end of the world. I can just transfer everything to the KitchenAid and put on the dough hook.
Well, I did and the dough hook wound up being IMMERSED in the dough. That is how much bread dough I have! A good guestimate: 6 quarts. I'm not a fan of letting my dough come up over the attachments (I dread the thought of having to clean up the springs now) so I decided to hand knead it. I didn't really didn't have any other choice. So now we'll have a LOT of bread but with a family of 7, it won't last long.

Amish White Bread: (Picture coming soon!)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment