Friday, January 20, 2012

Caramel Apple Pork Chops

Let me just say...these are DELICIOUS! I'm not really a big pork fan but I'll eat it when I have to. Unfortunately, I married a pork fan so that is usually more often than I'd like. Growing up, I can't remember my parents making too many pork products. The only pork dish that I remember is pork roast and apple sauce. And that was always one of my favorites. It must be the apples.

If you don't already know, I married a chef. Well...a sous chef but there really isn't a big difference there when you're talking about preparing home meals. That means that he fixes dinner the two nights a week that he is home. So if he wants pork, it's on one of those two nights. I don't eat it unless I have to so therefore, I personally don't cook it. That was, until I found this recipe three years ago.
I must say, allrecipes.com is one of my favorite recipe sites. I like it for mainly one reason: I pick the recipes I want to try based on how well other people have rated it. I'm leary of trying a new recipe that has any less than 100 ratings - unless I can tell that I'm going to like it. (Yes, I'm a recipe snob). This recipe is rate 4.5 stars out of 5 based on 1,323 reviews. This is one of the few recipes I have found that I don't have to tweak to my personal taste preferences.
I'll let you in on a little secret...(most of my "OMG Mandi, this is to die for" recipes come from allrecipes.com)

Caramel Apple Pork Chops


Ingredients

  • 4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 3 tablespoons pecans (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.
  3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
  4. Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Sprinkle with pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment