About a year ago, one of my husband's old co-workers contacted me about doing her daughter's birthday party. She had seen the Minnie Mouse party I had planned for another friend and the Dr. Seuss party (future post coming!) that I had planned for my daughter. After a few conversations about theme's we finally nailed down a Diva! theme. She wanted the party to be hot pink and zebra and [as any first birthday should be] focused around the birthday girl.
Here is what we created for the invitations:
I found a zebra print on Google and saved it to my computer. Then I opened up Microsoft Word and inserted the picture; cropped it down to size and then copy and pasted until it filled up the page. Then, I added a pink box (insert, shapes) and then I added a text box (insert, text box, draw text box). Finally, I printed them out onto shipping sheets (these are full sticker sheets) and cut the labels out and stuck them to the envelopes.
Now for some of the decorations:
For the zebra print bowls, we bought cheap ($1 I believe) plastic bowls from Hobby Lobby and used Cricut Vinyl. Cut the vinyl into jagged strips and attach to bowl. An added bonus, if you already have some black vinyl or know someone who would, this can be done with scrap pieces.
Now for the water bottles. When my nephew was born 3 years ago, I fooled around with Word and made some simple water bottle labels and candy bar labels. These were nothing fancy. Literally just words printed out on a light blue paper and wrapped over the existing label. Ever since then, I've been waiting for another reason to make some more. I didn't even think about making coordinating water bottles for all of the birthday parties we throw.
Luckily, I found a way to polish them up a bit. Again, I fooled around in Word...inserting the zebra print, adding shapes, images, and text boxes. What makes these a step up from my nephews is that I found a way to make them look like real labels. Again, I printed them out on plain computer paper. But this time, I wrapped packing tape over them. This is great for two reasons: 1) You don't have to mess with glue dots which are somewhat temperamental and sometimes don't want to stick and 2) They look like real labels that you'd probably pay big bucks to have custom made somewhere.*Please not that this does not make them water resistant. If you put these bottles into...oh say, a large bucket of ice to stay cold...after a while, the colors will bleed. Luckily, I found that out at one of MY parties and was expecting it to happen.
Cake in a jar! These were super easy to make! I know this will come as a shock but, I used Word to make the zebra labels, printed them out onto the shipping paper, and used a 2" hole punch to cut them out. I layered chocolate cake and vanilla buttercream to create a zebra look on the inside. We bought a "fat quarter" of zebra fabric from Wal-Mart and cut it down to the size of the lid. The fabric was hot glued to the lid just to make it a little easier on me (I made my mom do it!). Then, I spray painted the bands hot pink and once they were dry, screwed them on.
Here are pictures of the party items all pulled together:
We used tulle to create a zebra-ish skirting for the food table.
(The cupcake stand is foam boards cut and glued together to make boxes and wrapped in fabric...super cheap!)