Saturday, March 30, 2013

Mud Pie Cupcakes

One day, while browsing through endless internet pictures of scrumptious looking cupcakes I saw one that I knew I'd want to recreate....you know, when I got the rare free time away from my five kids, endless baking orders, cub scout duties, and sports. Turns out that day was today (less than 12 hours after seeing the picture). Okay, I didn't actually have free time. In fact, I've been up for a solid 72 hours baking for orders and babysitting for friends and trying to keep my house somewhat presentable. But I knew I wanted that cupcake and even if it meant I'd have to go another two hours without that long sought for sleep...I was going to get that cupcake!

Mud Pie Cupcake: Moist Chocolate cake filled with fudge pudding, topped with chocolate mousse, rimmed with Oreo crumbs, and sprinkled with chocolate shavings.




It starts like all of my chocolate cupcakes: with the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe. 

Ingredients

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  •  eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
  •  

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 325°F. Prepare cupcake pans
  2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into cupcake liners.  
  3.       Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For the pudding filling I just used Jello Chocolate Fudge pudding prepared as directed. Using an apple corer, make a whole in the center of your cupcakes. Fill with pudding.


Chocolate Mousse

This is a foolproof mousse recipe and SO delicious!

Ingredients:
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 oz Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate, melted
1/2 c. cold water
1 package instant pudding mix
1 c. heavy cream, whipped

In a large bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate. Gradually stir in the water, then instant pudding until smooth. Chill for at least 30 minutes. 
Remove the chocolate mixture from the refrigerator, and stir to loosen. Fold in whipped cream and return to the refrigerator for at least another hour.

Using an ice cream scoop, top each cupcake with the chocolate mousse. Lightly press crushed Oreo crumbs along the sides of the mousse. Top with chocolate shavings.



1 comment:

  1. For the instant pudding, what flavor is it? Chocolate? Vanilla?

    ReplyDelete